Home / Mis-sold Pensions / Final Salary Pension Transfer Claims / Police Pension Transfer Claims

Police Pension Transfer Claims

Most people would agree that being a Police Officer in the UK is often a tough job, and as part of the remuneration package over the years has been a good pension.

More specifically, a defined benefits pension – one that promises a guaranteed income in retirement based on the officer’s length of service, their final or average salary, as well as a few discretionary factors.

They also come with great death in service benefits to look after spouses or dependent children should the officer die before drawing on the pension, and all the risks, responsibilities and costs of running the scheme are placed on the shoulders of the pension trustees – easy going!

Yet some people are persuaded to move these valuable pensions in final salary pension transfers.

Speak with a Claims Handler

Negligent transfer advice

Not everyone stays a police officer until they retire – chasing crooks and sniffing out crime can take its toll and many people simply fancy a change before they retire, meaning that they leave the force.

But instead of leaving their valuable police pension where it is, many are persuaded to transfer it away on the advice of a financial adviser, often in the hope of making more money in retirement by investing it elsewhere.

For a few officers this may be the right call, but many will have taken negligent financial advice to do so, putting their previously safe retirement fund at risk on an often volatile market, and losing money in the process.

Transfer fees alone can shave a few thousand off during a pension move, and although investments look like they are causing the new pension to grow, they may not be beating the Critical Yield of the old Police pension.

Failing to meet the Critical Yield (the percentage by which the pension must grow by year on year to match the old pension’s benefits) means that although the pension appears to be growing, it may never be worth as much as the old pension.

Add the annual charges former officers may have to pay to the new pension scheme, and the risks of the investment market, a move may have been a bad idea.

You may be able to make a claim – contact our team!

You may have been mis-sold. Fill out your contact info below and we’ll be in touch at the best time for you


If you transferred your Police Pension to a private scheme then you may have been mis-sold, leaving you less well-off in retirement, even if your pot seems to have grown dramatically for the moment.

For those that took financial advice in order to make this happen, there could be a way to get justice with a winning mis-sold pension claim.

To check, get in touch with Spencer Churchill Claims Advice for a FREE Initial Assessment – a chat with one of our dedicated case assessors who can usually spot a mis-sold final salary pension transfer.

If they do feel you may have been mis-sold, we may be able to help you make a claim with no upfront cost, to help you recover some of the losses you will later experience from having transferred your pension.

Book a free initial assessment today by calling 01204 929929, or using one of the contact forms on the website.

Please note: No Win – No Fee*: Successful claims made through Spencer Churchill Claims Advice are subject to the Success Fee, charged as per your terms of business and engagement letter of any monies awarded to the claim. Clients have a 14 day “Cooling-Off” period during which time they may cancel at any time without charge. After this time, cancellation will result in the application of the Cancellation Fee. 

*Figures calculated before deduction of Success Fee and taxes 

Ready to make a claim?

Think you’ve been mis-sold your pension transfer? Click below to take the first step to making a claim


What makes a pension transfer mis-sold?

Moving a final salary or other defined benefit pension is rarely advisable, except in certain situations.
While moving your pension may earn your adviser big fees and commissions, you may lose more than you hoped.

Speak to a specialist